Addiction is more common than many realize. There were approximately 25 million people in the United States over the age of 12 with an addiction in 2013. Although most people don’t get the treatment they need, over 5 million people in 2013 received treatment for their addiction and every year it is expanding exponentially.
- Over 20 million Americans over the age of 12 have an addiction (excluding tobacco).
- 100 people die every day from drug overdoses. This rate has tripled in the past 20 years.
- Over 10 million emergency room visits in 2013 were drug-related.
- 2.6 million people with addictions have a dependence on both alcohol and illicit drugs.
- 12 million people in 2013 reported driving under the influence of illicit drugs.
- 8 million people with an addiction have a mental illness.
- Rates of illicit drug use is highest among those aged 18 to 25.
- Over 90% of those with an addiction began drinking, smoking or using illicit drugs before the age of 18.
- Learn more about treatment options by clicking on the links below.
Dr. Alejandro Alva is affiliated with the following Adolescent & Adult Recovery Programs