Orange County Psychiatry | Telemed for Mental Health, Addiction, Anxiety, Bipolar, Depression
Dr. Alva and the providers at PNS are proud to introduce Telemed / Telehealth options for patients throughout Orange County. Telemed Psychiatry is available Monday trough Friday between 9 AM and 5 PM. We are committed to leading the Orange County Psychiatric Community. Please see below for the telemedicine protocol.
Telemedicine protocol, Monday-Friday, during normal business hours:
- Contact us directly at (714) 545-5550 to schedule a Telemed Psychiatry Appointment.
- Our staff will schedule a time and provide instructions on how to access our Telemed portal.
- What you need to provide:
- Insurance information (usually insurance card)
- Government issued ID
- You will be responsible for a copay (if you have one).
- We will provide you a Telemed Informed Consent form, which will be sent to your email.
THIS WILL NEED TO BE COMPLETED BEFORE THE TELEMEDICINE VISIT CAN COMMENCE.
- PNS will email you an invite to our secure HIPAA compliant portal.
- A telemedicine visit will commence and we will do our best to take care of your healthcare needs via the telemedicine but you may be requested to come to the office. If you are required to come into the office, you will not be charged another copay.
Frequently asked questions:
1. What kinds of visits are appropriate for telemedicine?
- There are many visits that may qualify for our new telemedicine services. Ultimately, Dr. Alva and the providers will determine if you should come in for an office visit.
We are currently seeing patients via telemed for:
- Adolescent Psychiatry
- Adult Psychiatry
- Medically Assisted Weight Loss
- Alcohol/Chemical Dependency Therapy
- Medication Management
- Psychotherapy & Counseling
- Schizoaffective Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)
2. Will you refill my controlled substance?
- We will refill controlled substances every 30 days. We require a “physical examination” as a basis for prescribing and dispensing a controlled substance. This may be done through a Psychiatry Telemed or in office visit.
3. How is insurance billed?
- Your visit will be billed similarly as to when you are in the office.
4. What if my insurance does not cover telemedicine services?
- During the Coronavirus crisis insurance is covering Telemed visits the same as regular office visits. Depending on your insurance plan you may be responsible for the cost of the visit. You are responsible for determining if this is a covered service with your insurance.
5. If I am advised to come in, will I be billed twice?
- If you come into the office on the same day or the following day from the telemedicine visit, you will only be charged once. If you do not come into the office in a timely manner, you will be charged twice.
6. What if I miss my phone call?
- We will try one more time and if you miss your opportunity twice, we will not make a third attempt.
7. I am a new patient. Can I do a telemedicine visit?
- Yes. It will be your responsibility to download all the forms from our patient form page, fill them out, then email them (either scanned or a picture of each page) to "email@example.com" along with a copy of your driver's license and insurance card (front and back, if applicable). You can also fax it to 714-202-5555 if you have access to a fax machine.
8. Well I am not a new patient but I have not been seen in a long time. Can I still use this service?
- As long as you have been seen within 2 years, we can conduct a telemedicine visit.
9. Will you offer this service once the Coronavirus social isolation has ended?
- At this time, we have not made any decision about this. If there is a way that we can incorporate this service afterwards, we will keep this service.
10. I am currently in a different state. Am I able to still use this service?
- Short answer: Yes.
- Long answer: President Trump has lifted the state licensure restrictions for telemedicine in order to provide access to care to more people.
- Call in to schedule an appointment.
- We send you a link to a Telemed Portal.
- We will call right before appointment and collect copay/visit fee.
- You login into Telemed Portal.
- After your appointment we call to reschedule your next visit.